Grilled Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Whenever we cookout, it’s fun to throw some fruit on the grill. Why not take it to the next level and use that grilled fruit to make a scrumptious dessert?
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup orange juice (or reserved pineapple juice)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of butter (1 stick)
1 cup brown sugar
4 maraschino cherries
4 grilled pineapple slices (center removed, cut into rings)
Preheat oven to 350 F.
1. In a mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. Cream together butter and sugars until smooth. Add egg yolks and vanilla and blend in.
3. Add the flour mixture into the butter cream mixture a cup at a time. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk and orange juice just until incorporated. Set aside
4. In a sauce pan, add butter and brown sugar. On medium heat, heat until the butter is melted and stir in the sugar until well blended. Remove from heat.
5. Line an 8×8 square pan with parchment paper. (I used my brownie pan).
5. Arrange Grilled pineapple rings in each corner of the pan. Place a cherry into the middle of each pineapple ring. Pour melted butter/sugar mixture on top of fruit.
6. Pour cake batter on top of sugar mixture & fruit.
7. Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before flipping upside down and serving.
Optional: This recipe is also great with grilled peaches and pears instead of pineapple