Slow Cooker Lasagna
This is one of my favorite dishes to make during the work week. This classic dish is comfort food at it’s best. When you walk in the door after a long day at work or school, the warm, fragrant smell will make your mouth water!
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 4 hours
- 1 pound Italian Turkey Sausage (no casings)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 Handfuls of fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tablespoon Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon Basil
- 1 Tablespoon Parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1 Cup of Water
- 1 can tomato paste
- 4 cups tomato sauce (or 2 jars of your favorite spaghetti sauce)
- 1 package lasagna noodles (oven ready)
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese (I use part skim as it makes this dish less greasy)
- 1 1/2 Cups Cottage Cheese (I use cottage cheese instead of ricotta as it has a stiffer consistency for this dish)
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Cook the sausage until meat is no longer pink. (about 10 minutes)
- Add chopped onion, carrots and cook until soft (about 5 minutes)
- Add Garlic and Spinach and cook for another 2 minutes, remove from heat and set aside
- In a large bowl, mix together Seasonings, Water, Tomato Paste, Tomato Sauce and set aside
- In another bowl, mix cheese together and set aside.
- In crockpot, cover the bottom with tomato sauce (about 1 cup)
- Arrange 1/3 of the noodles over the sauce. Break the noodles if necessary. (Make sure the noodles DO NOT touch the sides of the crockpot or overlap each other)
- Spoon 1/3 of the cheese mixture on top
- Spoon 1/3 of the meat on top of the cheese.
- Repeat layers until all ingredients are used. (I usually end up with 3 layers)
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours (or until noodles are tender)
- Allow to cool in the crockpot for about 30 minutes -1 hour before serving. (this will help the lasagna set so it doesn’t fall apart when serving.)
Serve with your favorite garden salad and crusty French bread-Enjoy!